Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Beautiful: Blessing or Curse?



Beautiful: A Blessing or Curse?

Eva Longoria, Brad Pit, Catherine Zeta Jones, Denzel Washington, Tom Cruise and Hedi Klum… What do all of this people have in common? They are sex symbols. Their popularity is largely to them being a celebrity, but about that really hot girl next door and new sexy guy in your office; is their good looks a blessing or a curse. I have heard both men and women say that a person is out of their league because they look too good.
People are often intimidated by attractive people and do not approach them. Even if you do end up approaching them, you have to learn to cater to them. Whether it is men or women overly attractive people tend to fill the world revolves around them. Consciously or subconsciously they will not pay close attention to the other person.

Another downside to being too attractive is that people don’t take you seriously. They are not interested in the skills you have for the job they simply want to ask you. That actress that gets the audition only for the director to spend his time flirts with her. The pharmaceutical rep only gets to see the doctor because she’s cute.

Society is to blame for making them this way. Maybe they didn’t start out that way but through reinforcement we teach people how they should be treated. Attractive are given more tolerance than ugly people. That fat guy, better bring home flowers and have a good sense of humor. The average looking female better know how to cook, clean, cut the grass, dress up, go to the sporting event and play video games. Attractive people will get better customer service at any retail establishment, among other things like promotions, better grades.

But is it a Blessing or a Curse? Depending on which side of the gene pool you ended up on.

9 comments:

N@nc! said...

Unfortunly is like you said! so why good looking persons get better jobs than ugly?! money money...all about money..!!!

Remember Anna Nicole Smith? I saw her biography before yesterday, she made movies but she wasnt a good actress, she was blond, big lips, tall and big tits, but before she has big tits she wasnt famous, she had to make a surgery, and after that she was famous! So being beautiful maybe has to curse!

Ticia said...

Well I am beautiful and its a blessing!!!!

Blu Jewel said...

Thanks for the recent stop by and for the well wishes.

and my 2 cents is...being the parent of a truly beautiful daughter, I often find myself adding that she's an Honor Roll student when people say how pretty or beautiful she is. The last thing I want for her is to be seen as looks only.

I've instilled in her that beauty; while lovely; is fleeting and she'll need more than her looks to make it in life.

Thanks for this post and it's nice to hear it coming from a man.

Andrew The Asshole said...

Soul&Body - here in Miami, I think we are the 2nd capital of plastic surgery outside of LA. Anything for perfection, or maybe its just women competing with each other?

Ticia - You must have gotten that promotion and the professor let you make up the test, right?

Blu Jewel - Its coming from me, because I am above average man and women tell me that they were intimidated to talk to me.

Looks will get you in the door, but your intellect will keep you there.

BenefitScroungingScum said...

My first visit to your blog but something I've been thinking about more recently. I am relatively good looking and think you are so right about the downsides of it, it's extremely difficult to be taken seriously, and rare to find people who are interested enough to look past the way I look to see who I am...one reason the blogosphere is so great...everyone is equally self obsessed and anonymous!

Anonymous said...

I have heard both men and women say that a person is out of their league because they look too good.


TRUE
the girl i flipped for is a stunning blonde
and I am just an average looking Joe

not true
I am below average

and when we made love for the first time
she really came
and she came much too soon

my mind cud not accept that she really came for me

i figured she was faking it
and I told her so later

She was hurt deeply
i am still kicking my se;f in the butt for saying it

Jim said...

Beauty is only skin deep
and skin will age
and wrinkle

and boobs will sag
and that tight ass will turn to jelly soon

Saadia said...

Darling Andrew,
I'm sorry I haven't been in touch. I've been too busy to blog!!!
Your post is fab, as always!
xoxoxoxo

Andrew The Asshole said...

anonymous - yeah you should kick yourself for that statement. when I say average... I mean average looking aka not a model or brad pit type. Thats the point of the article that even though some might be full of themselves they are normal people.

Jim - so very true, they also have surgery for all those things

Girly Girl - Yeah it does get like that. How's the book? Have you been busy with that or Life?